Monday, February 1, 2010

Sleep, oh how I miss thee!

I love to sleep. I could sleep 10-12 hours and be very happy about it. Unfortunately, my children take after their Daddy and don't need much sleep to function happily.

It's funny, but lack of sleep is one of the toughest things for me about being a parent . . .especially a parent of a baby/toddler.

Nate (my 14-month-old) is still not sleeping through the night. Maddie and Alex were sleeping through the night by this age -- maybe up early for the day, but still sleeping through the night.

He was up twice last night -- both times to nurse (because, yes, while we've started weaning, we're still doing the middle of the night/early morning and bedtime nursing sessions). And he eats, he really eats both times. It's not like he's using me a pacifier -- unless I'm just an idiot -- he nurses for about 20 minutes each time.

And while I don't mind nursing my sweet boy, I often feel frustrated because I'm so exhausted. But I read a really moving story yesterday that reminded me once again of how blessed and lucky I am -- so I'm trying to cherish each and every moment I have with my children . . . even the middle of the night moments.

So sleep may be elusive for a bit longer, but that's OK . . . I'm going to cherish that time with my baby before he grows up and doesn't need me in quite the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment